In 1991, Pentrex traveled across the country to capture the highlights of the year'srailroading events. The result is two hours of nonstop adventure featuring 8 different railroading subjects, many of which are now fallen flags. Steam and diesel mainline railroading fills the screen in this edition of the Pentrex Best of series!
* SP Beet Train. Watch as SP'sfamous wooden gondolas are filled to the brim. Then follow two SP GP9s and a Cotton Belt GP40-2 as they haul the gondolas from Los Banos toward Fresno en route to the refinery.
* SP Sacramento Shops. Wheel repairs, traction motor rebuilds, and heavy locomotive repairs were still taking place at the Sacramento shops in 1991. We ll take you through the facilities to see the work in progress.
* Berea Tower. This busy Conrail junction near Cleveland, Ohio, saw a nonstop parade of trains in the fall of 1991. The interesting mix of power includes SD40s, SD40-2, GP40, GP38-2, 6-axle GE locomotives, and more.
* Union Pacific Challenger 3985. Our coverage of a special excursion from Salt Lake City/Ogden to McCanon, Idaho includes a cab ride as well as trackside views. No diesel helpers were included on this trip; it'sall steam!
* Santa Fe Shippers Special. Five Santa Fe business cars pulled by GE Warbonnet units made a special run from Fresno to Richmond. Highlights include fast running, a classic SF Depot, and Glen Fraser Tunnel.
* Southern Pacific 2472. Join 2472 on her maiden excursion, running from San Francisco to San Jose and return. This was her second outing after 13 years of restoration efforts and the results were a flawless performance!
* Railroads of Salt Lake City and Ogden. UP, SP, Rio Grande, and the Utah Railway keep the joint double track mainline at Grant Tower humming with activity. It'snot uncommon to see 3-4 trains there at the same time!
* Union Pacific Desert Victory Unit 3593. Follow UP'sSD40-2 #3593, painted in camouflage colors and displaying the names of UP employees serving in Operation Desert Storm, as it leads a train from SLC to Yermo.
DVD Special Feature:
* Chapter Menus provides instant access to program segments.
In Color with Hi-Fi Sound and Narration
Presented in Standard Definition 4x3 Format
No region code; can be played in NTSC DVD players worldwide
Packaged in Sturdy Vinyl Clamshell Case
Copyright Pentrex 1992, 2009